Designed for youth aged 13-25, VWAT’s Youth Programming believes all youth have skills and strengths. VWAT strives to offer opportunities for youth to capitalise on those qualities and show the great things they are capable of. Join to give your input in skill building workshops, lead critical discussions, participate in volunteer opportunities, get involved in recreational activities, and go on field trips to explore Toronto. Join to build skills, make new friends, and contribute back to your community. Earn volunteer hours as well.
VWAT Youth Group
The Youth Leadership Program is for you if you want to meet new people, build your leadership skills, and volunteer in the community! In this program, also known as the Youth Group, you have the opportunity to make a real impact on our neighbourhood. Volunteer together at the soup kitchen, fundraise with our homemade Plushie Toy Sale, lead the Games section at VWAT’s annual Lantern Festival—you can do it with us!
The 4 main goals of the programs are:
- to develop an openness to new experiences
- to develop a sense of social responsibility
- to develop transferable skills in preparation for future career success
- to support the youth in forming strong supportive supportive networks with their family and peers
The goals of the program are achieved by:
- Critical thinking promoted through discussions within a supportive peer group environment
- Meaningful volunteer opportunities within VWAT Family Services and partnering community organizations to provide skill-building opportunities
- Transferable skills development training workshops
- “Try-It” learning sessions for extracurricular activities
- One-on-one supportive resource counselling
Location: 1756 St. Clair Ave West (VWAT office)
Date: Most Saturday’s from 1-4pm
Newcomers Connections Club (NCC)
A program in collaboration with George Harvey C.I. students, newcomer youth and Student Mentors come together during weekly lunch sessions. Games are played to build teamwork and English language skills, group discussions, field trips across the city—this program is for youth who want to connect with other peers at George Harvey. Join us as a newcomer youth and see what we have to offer or as a Volunteer Student Mentor and help plan the meetings.
Location: 1700 Keele St (George Harvey C.I.)
Every Friday at lunch hour in Room 204
Contact: Mai Nguyen (647) 723-2165 ext. 115 firstname.lastname@example.org